Studies on genetic parameters, correlation and causation among biometrical traits in bhendi
The present investigation was conducted to estimate genetic parameters viz., genotypic coefficient variation (GCV), phenotypic coefficient variation (PCV), heritability and genetic advance (GA) along with correlation and path coefficient analysis, from data collected from fifty eight genotypes. High GCV and PCV were observed for fruit yield per plant, number of node to first fruiting and fruit girth. High heritability coupled with high GA was observed for almost all the characters of interest. These traits could well be improved by resorting to simple selection. The Fruit yield per plant evinced positive significant phenotypic and genotypic association with plant height and average fruit weight. Path coefficient analysis revealed that number of fruit per plant and average fruit weight exerted maximum positive direct effects which were equal to genetic correlation coefficient towards fruit yield per plant. Hence, number fruits per plant and average fruit weight may be good indicator traits for fruit yield improvement in okra breeding.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.